I'll be home for Christmas...*
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
Christmas has come and gone here in the Middle Kingdom, and as with everything else in China in 2008, it was an Olympic-sized event. Even though the true meaning of Christmas is often lost on the Chinese people, they do recognize that it is an important Western holiday, and they do their best to celebrate as well as they can. This year was no exception.
Tuesday night, the 23rd, John and Kevin Di Palma and I attended the Finance & Trade School Christmas party. It was a raucous event, with singing, dancing, and lots of games and prizes. Santa even made an appearance!
I think its funny that in Chinese, they call Santa Claus "Sheng Dan Lao Ren (圣诞老人)," which translates literally as "Old Man Christmas." I guess it's much closer to the British idea of "Father Christmas" than to the American idea of "Santa Claus."
This shot gives you a pretty good idea of how big of a crowd there was. You can see the students lined up on the stairwell, and that balcony stretches all the way across the room and there's a similar stairwell packed with students on the other side. There had to have been at least 250 people there that night. Needless to say, it was the place to be.
After the FTU party, we hurried over to a banquet hall on the 11th floor of a local hotel for another Christmas party. This one was hosted by a local group of Chinese Christians. Our friend Ruth invited us. It was really neat to see people celebrating the real Reason for the Season.
On Christmas Eve we all had to teach, but that evening we were invited to a couple of parties with our students. This is us with kids from Class 3.
Christmas without your family is about as difficult as you can imagine it would be, but it sure helps when you can spend it with people who care about you (and who you care about) as much as our students do.
Class 1 decided to celebrate in the best way they knew how: karaoke! KTV is definitely one Christmas tradition that I think needs to come to America."Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin (月亮代表我的心)"
or "The Moon Represents My Heart."
It's one of the few Chinese songs I know every word to, and it was a big hit. The next day I received this email from some of the girls in the class:
Aaron,
We do enjoy last night.We won't forget the song,月亮代表我的 心,you sang last night. Thank you so much for teaching us so many songs. If you were put in a packet tonight, you don't need to scare. That's because we called santa claus to sent us a good friend.
Merry Christmas! Have fun in your holiday!
We do enjoy last night.We won't forget the song,月亮代表我的 心,you sang last night. Thank you so much for teaching us so many songs. If you were put in a packet tonight, you don't need to scare. That's because we called santa claus to sent us a good friend.
Merry Christmas! Have fun in your holiday!
All in all, it was a fantastic night, and after KTV we grabbed some peach pies and hot chocolate at McDonalds. Not exactly Christmas cookies, but it was a suitable substitute.
In Chinese, Christmas Eve is called "Ping An Ye (平安夜)" which literally means "Peaceful Night." Pretty cool translation if you ask me. And yet, it's not even the coolest translation of the season. Christmas Day in Chinese is called "Sheng Dan Jie (圣诞节)" which literally translates into "Holy Birth Festival." I mentioned before that if you ask the Chinese people why we celebrate Christmas in the West, many of them don't seem to know. Yet I have to believe that the knowledge is there, somewhere, even if it's hidden away within their language. A true reason for hope.
As in the States, the end of the Christmas Season also marks the end of the year. That is certainly the case here. Classes are all finished, and now the next three weeks will be dedicated to giving final exams and handing out final grades. This is probably the part of teaching that I hate the most, but it has to be done. It's nice to be done with classes, though. It was a rewarding semester, but stressful at times. I'm really looking forward to the break.
David left for a bit of traveling in Yunnan on Friday, and John and MJ took off early this morning for Sichuan. Ben and I decided to just stick around town, save some money, and just chill out. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to spend more time with my students as well. Hanging out with them outside of the classroom is easily one of my favorite things about working in China.
Despite all of the fun I've been having the last week, please know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers even more than usual this time of year. I love China, but it's not home. You all are missed.
I hope the rest of the year treats you well, and the New Year treats you even better!
David left for a bit of traveling in Yunnan on Friday, and John and MJ took off early this morning for Sichuan. Ben and I decided to just stick around town, save some money, and just chill out. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to spend more time with my students as well. Hanging out with them outside of the classroom is easily one of my favorite things about working in China.
Despite all of the fun I've been having the last week, please know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers even more than usual this time of year. I love China, but it's not home. You all are missed.
I hope the rest of the year treats you well, and the New Year treats you even better!
-Aaron






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home