Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Gan'en Jie Kuaile!! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

This will have to be short post. So much to talk about, but so little time. The last few days have been crazy busy getting ready for the big feast tomorrow. First we had to track down all of the food, which meant a scavanger hunt around the city (Chris won the award for "Most-Unlikely-But-Most-Appreciated-Find": Marshmallows to put on the sweet potatoes). Now we have to prepare it, bit by bit, since kitchens here in China are somewhat limited spacially. Last night I made pie crusts (crushed teddy grahams, sugar, and butter), tonight I am making Jello, and Cletus is making the filling for the pies (peanut butter, chocolate, honey and milk). Tomorrow Tim, Cletus, and I will spend the morning peeling enough potatoes for 30 people, and tomorrow afternoon Tim, Chris, and I will make garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, stuffing, and buy fresh rolls. Then we have Mass at 4:30, and dinner at 5:30. Should be a grand ol' time.

Oh, and I want to give a shout out to the moms for their assistance: to Chris' mom for the stuffing mix and the can of cranberry sauce, and to my mom for the gravy mix, the Jello mix, and the napkins. We are all eternally grateful for your contributions, both to our meal and to our lives. I thank you, Jilin thanks you, China thanks you. (You now have to say "You're welcome" 1.3 billion times)

In other news, Cletus and I had a wonderful trip to Shenyang, but those stories will have to wait. And my goodness, are there stories! Also we have a special guest arriving in Jilin on Sunday, but that person's identity will have to remain a secret for the time being.

Oh, and just an update: so you know how in one of my posts I mentioned that a number of notables had made recent trips to China (Bush, Pawlenty, Schwartzenegger, Pfotenhauer), following in my trailblazing footsteps? Well you can add to that esteemed list Br. Dietrich Reinhardt, President of St. John's University, my alma matter (man, that feels wierd to type). I don't know exctly what he was doing in Beijing, but I'm sure it was something monkish or presidential or something. Either way, it's just more proof that China is the place to be!

So, more posts to come, but you'll have to wait till I'm done digesting 5 kilos worth of garlic mashed potatoes. Whoot Whoot!

Man I love Thankgiving!

4 Comments:

At 6:45 AM , Blogger Ole said...

Hey Man,

Happy Thanksgiving! I've been watching the news about the chemical spill near Harbin. How is that affecting you (if at all)? I'll be in touch again soon.

-Cousin A

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger BB said...

Glad to hear things go well.

take it easy,
-BB

 
At 12:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also checking on the benzene water situation. Might have to call Mom and Dad for the lowdown.
Did you have a turkey???
Happy Thanksgiving!
Diane

 
At 3:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, palamino. I'm heading off to bed, but I have a quick question. Are you going to be online this weekend? If you are, we need to get some serious talking done. I haven't had much time to chat lately, but now there are some big holes in my schedule that need desparately to be filled with talking to Aaron. Talk to you soon, bud,
Shoobs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home